Ferntree Gully News is saddened to witness the devastation caused to the Dandenongs and surrounds by the recent storms in June 2021. A huge thank you to our local emergency crews, such as the SES and CFA, for all that you do!
If you are in need of assistance, here is a list of local community resources available.
Knox Council has also announced support services.
If you need assistance
- Storm Clean-up Program
- Disaster Assistance from State / Fed Gov
- Disaster assistance is available at www.disasterassist.gov.au
- Knox Council support here.
- Centrelink supplements for households
- Centrelink income support payments
Personal Hardship Assistance Program (PHAP) remains available for people experiencing financial hardship due to a natural disaster.
PHAP is a one-off payment to help meet immediate needs, including emergency food, shelter, clothing, medication and accommodation. Payments are up to $560 per adult and $280 per child (up to a maximum of $1960 per eligible family).
Victorian and Commonwealth Governments announced the Emergency Re-establishment Assistance for Households Affected by the June 2021 Severe Weather Event. Under these payments, eligible recipients will receive a maximum of $42,250 per household to re-establish their homes as quickly as possible. More information here.
Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements
Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) provide a range of financial assistance to natural disaster-declared areas. The money can also be used to cover accommodation, cleanup, home repairs, reconnecting services and rebuilding or replacing around the home.
For information on available recovery assistance, visit the VIC Emergency website.
- Local Roads – Contact your local Council (if you know that a request hasn’t already been made on your road)
- Main Roads – Contact VicRoads on 13 11 70
- On Powerlines – Contact AusNet Services on 13 17 99
A Prolonged Power Outage Payment of up to $1,680 per week will be extended to all eligible households without power as at Thursday 17 June. The payment will be administered by Ausnet. Outage Complaints here.
To find out if you’re eligible and apply for the payments contact Ausnet on 1300 360 795.
The CFA has asked that anyone needing a generator should contact them. They are able to supply.
From 8am – 8pm daily, NBN Australia is providing ‘Road Muster Trucks’ to provide internet connectivity, news and device charging at:
- Olinda Recreation Reserve, Cnr Olinda Monbulk Rd and The Georgian Roads, Olinda
- Sassafras Village Green, Cnr Mountain Hwy and Mt Dandenong Tourist Rd, Sassafras
- Kalorama CFA Station, 33 Ridge Road, Kalorama
- Foothills Community Care provides free meals for anyone in the local community who is struggling. You can call them on 8711 8677, or visit their website here.
Due to the increase in demand for their meals at this time, they are in desperate need of cash donations. They are also accepting donations of pasta, rice, flour, meat, long-life milk, hand sanitiser and disposable gloves. Donate here.
- Dandenong Ranges Emergency Relief (DRERS) provides free grocery items. 1616-1624 Burwood Highway, Belgrave, Monday to Friday 9.30am-12.30pm http://www.drers.org.au/ Ph 9754 7777. You can also donate here.
- Soupees – Main St, Upwey, beside Bendigo Bank. Hot soup plus blankets, clothing and etc available. Fridays 3pm-7pm.
https://www.facebook.com/Soupees Ph. 0409 607 610
- Food is Free Tecoma – Groceries, meals & fresh food available 24/7. Verandah of Tecoma Uniting Church at 1566 Burwood Highway, Tecoma https://thehillsfoodfrontier.org.au/
- Hope in the Hills Friday – http://www.hopeinthehills.org.au/ Ph: 9754 6809
Food Waste Disposal
For spoiled food waste due to power outages, there are bins available at the following locations:
- Kalorama Football Club, Mt Dandenong Tourist Road, Kalorama
- Olinda public toilets, 33 Monash Avenue (service road)
- Rear of the Healesville Community Link, River Street Healesville
- Monbulk Recreation Reserve, Moores Road, Monbulk
- Belgrave Recreation Reserve
Injured Native Wildlife
Contact DELWP (Department of Land, Water and Planning) on 136 186.
If you feel distressed
Mental health is just as important as our physical health. Support is available and there’s always someone to talk to.
- Outer East Phone Chat on 1800 984 825 (Mon – Fri 10am – 1pm, Mon – Thurs 5pm – 9pm)
- Beyond Blue on 1300 22 46 36
- Lifeline on 13 11 14
- Kids Helpline on 1800 551 800
- Headspace on 1800 650 890
- ‘Head to Health’ website
- Knox Mental Health Help Card
We will continue to keep this page regularly updated with current information. Stay safe.