On Tuesday 1 July, State Member for Ferntree Gully, Nick Wakeling MP, hosted the seventh annual Ferntree Gully Electorate Victoria Day Awards. Assisting Mr Wakeling was Mr Hurtle Lupton, Chairman of the Bendigo Community Bank – Fern Tree Gully and Rowville Branches, major sponsors of the awards ceremony.
The Victoria Day Awards are a wonderful opportunity for our local community and sporting groups and volunteer organisations to recognise, celebrate and thank an exceptional member of their organisation who make a significant difference to our community with their outstanding service and commitment.
For 2014, Mr Wakeling presented awards to 31 inspirational and worthy individuals.
One such recipient was the newspaper’s own Distribution Manager, Jenny Ford, whose organisational skills, and attention to detail have ensured the effective and timely distribution of our newspaper over the past five years.
Jenny was nominated by the Mountain District Learning Centre. MDLC Manager Janet Claringbold and Executive Committee Chair Chris Markwick were present at the function.
After an introductory speech by local State member, Mr Nick Wakeling, the presentations were made by Hurtle Lupton, the CEO of the Ferntree Gully Community Bank, Bendigo Bank Ltd. After the presentations, recipients and their guests were invited to partake in refreshments.
On behalf of the community of the Ferntree Gully electorate, Mr Wakeling would like to congratulate all nominees and thank them for their amazing, varied and selfless contributions to our community.
Mr Wakeling would also like to thank the on-going support of the Victoria Day Awards major sponsor – Bendigo Community Bank – Fern Tree Gully and Rowville Branches and also welcome a new sponsor – Good Life Wholesale Party Foods in Wantirna.
Award recipients from Ferntree Gully organisations were:
- Andrew Groves-Berry Upper Gully Auskick
- Brendon Radcliffe Crime Victims Support Association
- Avril Jones FTG Netball Club
- Beryl Knight Angliss Hospital Auxiliary
- Beryl Turner St Vincent de Paul Society
- Colin Stewart Knox & District Woodworkers Club
- Graham Crichton CFA FTG
- Ian Harley and Kevin O’Byrne FTG & District Cricket Association
- Jo Furno Upper FTG Junior Football Club
- Kay Webb FTG Arts Society
- Jenny Ford Mountain District Learning Centre, FTG News Distribution Manager
- Kevin Godfrey FTG Football Club
- Maureen Lawson St John the Baptist Tennis Club
- Rebecca Johnson Foothills Community Care
- Vincent Feeney St Joseph’s College Ferntree Gully